Friday, September 6, 2013

Clean living motivation

My world was rocked the summer of 2011 when my husband Ed was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML). Shocked and feeling helpless, I started my research of the disease in search for answers and understanding. He has no family history of Leukemia and the only discovered risk factors are exposure to ionizing radiation or atomic bombs. Something caused his genes to mutate, we just don't know what.

A key tidbit that I read early on is that only 10% of cancer is genetic and the remaining 90% is caused by environmental factors. That percentage blows me away, yet gives me a little hope that I can influence my health by making smarter and healthier choices. We made immediate lifestyle changes, some major and some minor. It was time to lessen our toxic burden and our eyes had been opened - I only wish that it hadn't taken my husband getting cancer to get seriously proactive about wellness and clean living.

I've learned a lot in the last couple years and my hope is this blog is an effective outlet to help improve our chances against cancer and chronic disease. There is something you can do - quite a lot actually -about the products in your home and what you put in and on your body. I am not a doctor or nutritionist and I'm not claiming to be an expert on cancer prevention. These are simply tips and suggestions from sources that I believe in and trust.

My goal is to keep this blog sweet and simple. I want it to be informative, easy to understand, fact based and helpful. Please forgive any run-on sentences, etc (I'm claiming a permanent case of baby brain...) and its going to take me a while to figure out the ins and outs of blogging. My next post will be all about endocrine disrupters, which are some of the major offenders. You won't believe what is hiding in the product you use every day! I must include my favorite photo of my two biggest motivators - Ed and our daughter Olivia. We just celebrated her first birthday yesterday :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Can't wait for your next! And what an adorable picture of Ed and Olivia.

    ReplyDelete